Frequently Asked Questions
- Can standing be reintroduced at Premier and Championship grounds?
- What is the purpose of the SGSA licence?
- Which grounds require the SGSA licence?
Operations Manuals (Freedom of information)
- Is an Operations Manual held by a public authority (such as the SGSA or a Local Authority) covered by the Freedom of Information Act?
Policing at Sports Grounds
- What does the legislation on sports ground safety say about conditions in the safety certificate
issued by the local authority?
- On what basis do the police attend events at the ground?
- What does the legislation on sports ground safety say about policing?
- What does the legislation on policing say?
- What is the statement of intent?
- Is the statement of intent a request for police services?
- What happens if there is a dispute between the ground management and the police over payment?
- For what can the police charge?
- What was the judgment of the Court of Appeal in Reading Festival Limited v West Yorkshire
Police (the Mean Fiddler case)?
- What was the judgment of the Court in Greater Manchester Police v Wigan Athletic?
- What is a safety certificate?
- What is a designated ground?
- How do I apply for a ground to be designated or de-designated?
- What is a regulated stand?
- How do I calculate the safe capacity of a ground?
- What parts of the ground should be covered by the safety certificate?
- Should a safety certificate include a requirement for the holder to produce a traffic management plan?
- Why does the SGSA continue to advise that changes to safety certificates must be advertised in the local press?
- Does the requirement to advertise changes to safety certificates extend to advertising changes made to an operations manual?
- What is the SGSA role at FA cup matches where a Premier or Football League club are drawn away to non-league opposition?
- Which events at a sports ground should be covered by the provisions of a safety certificate?
- Where can I find information about the tests and inspections to be undertaken by ground management before and after an event?
- Who is in charge in the control point / control room?
- Should litter bins in sports grounds be secured? Can litter bins be placed on exit routes?
- Steward Training - Overview
- What are the National Occupational Standards for Spectator Safety?
- How do I determine if a qualification is an acceptable alternative to the Level 2 NVQ in Spectator Safety?
- If a steward is in the process of undertaking their training, assessment and qualification are they allowed to work in a sports ground?
- When should the first annual inspection and structural appraisal be undertaken at a new, or recently completed, stadia?
- Should the auxiliary power supply at a sports ground be capable of supplying the entire load for a minimum of three hours or is it sufficient to provide an auxiliary power supply to just the safety related installations?
- What action should ground management take to ensure that concourses remain free of slip hazards?